Class representatives play a vital role in assisting the class teacher by disseminating school information and co-ordinating parent helpers for relevant activities and outings. They also assist the work of FOBG within each class by coordinating and supporting fund-raising activities and creating an informal parent network.
Please note that class representatives are not expected to ‘represent the class’ but should feel confident that they are able to direct any parental concern or grievance to an appropriate source of help.
The school is deeply appreciative of the parents who volunteer to act as class representatives and support they give teachers throughout the academic year.
Class representatives carry out these core functions:
Liaise with the class teacher to coordinate parent help
- Co-ordinate the rota for parent/carer helpers.
- Request and coordinate volunteers ahead of school trips.
- Request extra materials for projects etc. that parents may be able to donate.
Support our inclusive school community
- Welcome new families to Bishop Gilpin and introduce them to other parents in the class
- Compile a contact list of all children in the class together with email, telephone number, address and full names of parents/carers, and circulate this list to the class and teacher (in line with GDPR - data protection guidance).
- Arrange a social event for the class once a term, eg coffee mornings / evening drinks parties.
Coordinate and support fundraising
- Organise the class stalls for the Christmas and summer fairs.
- Encourage class members to attend and donate to other fundraising and social events, e.g. quiz nights, auction of promises.
Answer simple queries in a positive and supportive way
e.g. about school timetables, trips, forthcoming events or processes.
Direct parents to the class teacher/senior leader:
- If the parent has concerns or queries regarding their child or teaching and learning.
- When it is appropriate for the parents/carers to follow guidelines set out in the Communications Policy.
If parents do not know who their class representative is, they should please ask their child’s teacher, or enquire at the school office.